After coming home from the hospital and taking some time to heal, a regular routine followed. I had to go and do errands just like before and everywhere I went I felt as if a neon sign was flashing above my head, "Grieving Mother". I thought that it must be obvious. But it wasn't. I wanted to say to the person who cut in front of me in the aisle, "If you only knew...You would have stepped aside in respect." I wanted to say to the mother being short with her children in the check out line, "If you only knew... you would love them every second." I wanted to say to each person that crossed my path or stared in my direction, "If you only knew the secret that I keep."
I just finished reading "The Christmas Box" which is highly recommended to people that have lost children. It is a deeply moving story for anyone to read but had special significance for me. There is a part in the book that captured what I feel.
"Mary is the warmest, most open individual I've ever met, except..."She paused. "Do you ever get the feeling that she is hiding something?"
"Something?"
"Something tragic. Terribly tragic. Something that shapes you and changes your perspective forever."
How many people around us are keeping such secrets? How many people do we pass in the aisle at the store or cut off while driving, keep tragic secrets? I know so many wonderful people that are the holders of tragic secrets. What would their neon sign say..."I have diabetes." Or, "My newborn had open heart surgery." Or, "My husband is battling cancer." Or, "I haven't been able to have a baby." Or, "My husband was killed in an accident." Or, "I placed my baby for adoption." Their tragedies are not obvious either. There are not neon signs that warn strangers to be kinder and more sympathetic.
I have come to the conclusion that almost every person we come into contact with has a trial of some sort whether great or small. And we never know who those people are until we get to know them. That is why it is so important to treat everyone with dignity and kindness. Even if they don't deserve it. We don't know all of the secrets that people keep. But I really think if we did get to glimpse into others heart's and see their sorrow's we would not judge or act unkindly to anyone. Isn't that what it means to be "Christlike"? I do not pretend to be kind to everyone all of the time but it is something that I am more aware of now and I would like to become better at doing. And I have a lot of work to do.
In the talk, "The Virtue of Kindness" Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said,
"Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known. Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes.
Kind words not only lift our spirits in the moment they are given, but they can linger with us over the years.Kindness is the essence of a celestial life. Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others. Kindness should permeate all of our words and actions at work, at school, at church, and especially in our homes.Each one of us will travel a different road during this life. Each progresses at a different rate. Temptations that trouble your brother may not challenge you at all. Strengths that you possess may seem impossible to another.
Never look down on those who are less perfect than you. Don’t be upset because someone can’t sew as well as you, can’t throw as well as you, can’t row or hoe as well as you.
We are all children of our Heavenly Father. And we are here with the same purpose: to learn to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. 2
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have alove one to another. John 13:35
10 comments:
thank you for reminding me what it really means to be christlike. it has always been so easy for me to say something about another person. every new year it is my goal to stop the negative talk and gossiping. this makes it easier for me to remember why it is so important to be christlike. i love you!
Thank you so much for commenting on my blog, and for sharing your feelings. I have felt recently that we have no idea what is going on in other's lives, and it's hard to think that on my saddest days. There are so many times where I feel like I am the only one going through a trail, but everyone has thier own sort of battle. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious baby. I wish you many peace and happiness to come your way.
Lots of love,
Rylie
I know exactly what you mean when you say that people have their own secrets and no one will know them until you get to know that person. I sometimes forget that others are going through my same trial. Like you mentioned, I too look at people differently and have learned to not be judgmental since dealing with my own trials. I think people too often forget about others trials and are concentrated on their own problems, thus coming across as rude or inconsiderate (your examples of cutting in the aisle etc). It's a daily struggle to overcome and be more Christlike. I look forward to checking this blog so often. Thanks for your thoughts Tifani.
Wow Tifani! I love your words. I know what you mean, when I went back to work I thought how if people saw me they would have no idea...I was just back and work, same place as before, just this time no belly...and no baby.
I'm so sorry! It is so hard. I am here for you if you ever need anything. Your video tribute is beautiful!! Who is that song by? I love it!
I completely agree with this.I thought about this so much when we were going through our miscarriage we had so many diffrent acts of kindness and I almost felt that the people saw my sign and moved over to help.And its a great reminder before we treat others unkind to think..what trial did they go through?I think if we saw things like this the world would be such a happier place.
Tifani, I have loved reading this blog tonight. Thank you for the beautiful reminders, for your tender, simple, beautiful words of testimony and resolve, and for sharing your feelings with us. I am touched.
This is totally true in every way. How interesting that would be walking around and seeing what each person's "sign" would say about them. It's so easy to get caught up in life and not notice others. Thank you for the reminder of being more Christlike and to love everyone. I love you!
I too think about the sing I have and wonder most people have no idea, they say oh what 2 beautiful children you have, if they only new. I have tried so much to become more compassionate, more aware of others around me through this trials, if anything its one of the things I've learned the most. Everyone suffers at one point or another and we are not to judge if its worse than ours, we all handle things differently and we are not given more than we can handle. I try daily to be more Christlike, thank you for the reminder, you know what someone if going through if they are having a bad day.
I meant, "Sign" I have.
I feel this way a lot too. Every time my husband and I drive down the highway and we see an ambulance race by...we both look at each other and wonder...who's life is changing forever right now? When we see stories on the news of families who have lost loved ones, or their homes in a fire, we think...who is helping them through today? I often find myself at Walmart looking at people so differently...wondering, like you said, what burden they carry. Sometimes I wish I had a T-shirt that just said it all, but then at other times, I'm glad I don't. I think your right, being Christlike is being able to recognize that everyone has a secret, a life we don't know...and we should love them no matter what. It's much easier said than done, but that doesn't make it impossible. We learned that from Christ.
I loved your special video...the pictures are beautiful. I also would love to know who that song is by.
Sending lots of love you way.
Post a Comment