Friday, March 27, 2009

Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself

Am I going nuts?
I sometimes feel a little crazy. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost my mind yet but I do question what the heck I'm supposed to do with myself. It's like that song that Cameron Diaz tries so desperately to sing in My Best Friends Wedding. "I just don't know what to do with myself. I don't know what to do with myself."

I can't concentrate.
I have become seriously obsessive. I seem to pick one thing and can't get it out of my mind. Cleaning....blogging.....crafting...whatever.
I feel all nervous and jittery inside. And I don't even drink caffeine.
I'm having feelings of panic. Like when I drive, when I'm around lots of people, when there is too much going on.
I'm scared now. I feel like a 12 year old. I'm mostly scared of people. Talking to them & being around them. I am an unrecognizable version of the loud and obnoxious girl I once was. I can barely make a peep. I used to be fun. At least I think I was.

From experience, I know that I'm feeling these things because of my loss. After my second miscarriage I felt most of these things. Back then I had a strange obsession with painting my nails. I would paint them almost every night just so I would have something to concentrate on besides the pain. I would go shopping all of the time. I thought buying things would make me happier. I tried really hard to be fun and outgoing and make new friends. I thought I would be happier because I knew more people. Ya....

The obsessive behavior I'm experiencing now is just a coping mechanism. Because when I slow down for long enough, I tend to get sad. And I remember everything. I remember that I couldn't keep my baby safe. He was doing so well. Hanging out in his little home, kicking and moving. Just moments before everything happened I could hear his movements on the monitor in my hospital room. The nurses would say, "He's an active little guy isn't he?" And I would just smile because he was very active and I knew he was special. Then, out of nowhere, it came down to his life or mine. His little home was hurting me....killing me. And, without knowing what was happening, he was forced to give his life to save mine. I was supposed to be the one protecting him from harm. How can I ever digest that?

In the book Gone Too Soon by Sherri Wittwer, I was taken back by a couple of sentences. Sentences that seemed to punch me in my gut. Right there in the book, plainly written, were feelings that I did not have the words to express.

"Another common reaction...is feeling like a failure as a woman. To many women, having children is the essence of womanhood: and when a woman loses a baby, it is common for her to feel as if she has failed her husband, her family, herself, her baby, and has, in general, failed as a woman. The feeling of failure can lead to a total loss of self-esteem. Suddenly, the woman becomes unsure of her abilities in all aspects of her life."

There it is.

I feel those things.
I don't want to feel those things. I don't like feeling scared and unsure of myself. Gosh, its hard enough being a woman today with all of the crap that surrounds us. But really...now I have all of these other emotions stacked on top of the normal day to day struggles.

I am doing everything I can think of to be "anxiously engaged in a good cause". Hoping that those feelings of self doubt can be replaced with feelings of worth.

I need to relearn who I am in a sense. Because at this point, I am pretty sure that I will never be the same person I once was.

Knowing what my divine nature is has given me something solid to hold onto. I could do as I did before and try to find myself again by changing my appearance or my habits or even my friends. But none of those things will fill the void that I have been left with. I don't need to change who I am to find who I am. Who I am and was before I came to this world will never change. It is up to me to recognize the things about me that are divine and weed out the rest.

Spencer W. Kimball said,
“All of you need to drink in deeply the gospel truths about the eternal nature of your individual identity and the uniqueness of your personality. You need, more and more, to feel the perfect love which our Father in Heaven has for you and to sense the value he places upon you as an individual. Ponder upon these great truths, especially in those moments when (in the stillness of such anxiety as you may experience as an individual) you might otherwise wonder and be perplexed”

Having positive things to do with my nervous energy will, I believe, help me to get out of this mess in the end. I think I will be able to get to know me again by doing meaningful things instead of just concentrating on the hurt. That is just my hope anyways.

“A conviction that you are a daughter of God gives you a feeling of comfort in your self-worth. It means that you can find strength in the balm of Christ. It will help you meet the heartaches and challenges with faith and serenity. … A woman can and must have an identity and feel useful, valued, and needed whether she is single or married. She must feel that she can do something for someone else that no one else ever born can do” -James E. Faust

That quote is so cool. And it's a really good place to start....

9 comments:

Celeste said...

You are an incredible pillar! I am in awe of the gift of expression you have - I feel as though I can see your soul and I ache for you. I love you!

Brittanie said...

I think that sense of womanhood=motherhood is accentuated as a member of the Church. We are taught from the time that we are children that our divine role as women is to be mothers. So what does that mean for those of us who can't even get our children here safely? I felt that failure so deeply and sometimes it still comes to bite me.

But the Lord loves you, regardless. Heavenly Father loves you, because you are His daughter. No matter what we perceive our failures and weaknesses to be.

(hugs) to you.

Adria said...

i love those quotes, i had never heard them before. i'm sorry you feel so lost right now..i guess it's a good thing that you are at least feeling right? i love you so much and wish i was there to help you thru this..how many more moons? love you sister!

jaredelizabeth said...

I can't tell you how many times I've looked back and thought how stupid I was not to see clearly what was going on with you after your miscarriage. Reading Micah's blog has made me think about all the things I should have done differently and wish that I was with you now so I could have a do over. I was telling Monae the other day how sweet it was to see Micah's picture and told her about his blog. She wanted to see it, but when I told her I cry every time I read it, she didn't think she could handle it. I think I feel better by reading it because I feel like even though I can't get a do-over, I can at least cry for you and let you know I'm thinking of you. I love you Tifani.

Swasey family said...

The book gone to soon, is amazing.Like you said it explains emotions, you couldn't explain.I hope you get feeling better!

April said...

Oh Tif, I am so sorry. Those feelings of complusiveness, anxiousness, I too had them, sometimes feel I still no. Right now I feel I have no motivation. I have days where I feel I do but when I am faced when there is nothing to do or some quiet time I can't bring myself to do anything. That book is amazing. Its so hard because we were both faced with similar experiences, our life or our childs. Thats what I struggle with as well. I was supposed to protect him that was my job and my body failed. They are special little boys because they did save our lives. I know it doesn't make it easier. Hang in there, you are an amazing women and I look up to you so much with you faith, the way I can see how much you love, take care, and mother your other children. You are an inspiration. Just know its the normal process of grieving. Hang in there. I love ya. April

Amy said...

I'm sorry Tifani. Its so hard. I'm feeling very alone and lost lately. I feel like other things I've struggled with in the past are being accentuated lately...I don't know if thats because of my grief or what but I don't like it. I will pray for you!

Amy

TheBurtons said...

so i've been looking for this really good quote i heard once, but cant find it. it said something like when a person is in their darkest hours, they dig into the depths of their soul and are reminded things they had almost forgotten. i don't think you forgot who you were, but life gets us all side-tracked. when trials come in our lives we should take a step back an re-evaluate...not that you ever needed to though. you have always been a strong woman of god. now you are closer to heavenly father more than ever. how amazing.

people cope in many ways, i totally know what you are talking about how you hate the quiet. i got it from my mom; i'd rather distract myself then feel the pain that stings. but it is good to 'feel' like adria said. to be numb would be worse. i will just finish by saying that if we never felt pain then we'd never experience joy.

i love you so much sweetheart. i know i won't ever understand how you are feeling. but i thank you for opening up and creating this blog. it truly will change many people's lives- including mine.

Anonymous said...

I know that it is so hard to go through this. You are growing tremendously though. I feel you are getting closer to our Heavenly Father each and every day. You are such an example to me and I will continue to look unto you, your words, for strength. I know it's hard when there is quiet time, and as you reflect, you begin to analyze, over analyze and question things. This is part of the process. I know there are good days and bad. I love you. Stay stong, as much as you are able. I will call you later. I do love you so much.