Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Goliaths of our Lives

I can't say that I have been very good about sharing any feelings or thoughts lately.  In a way, it is kind of a good thing as I have been feeling happy and wanting to do other activities with my family. 
I have just started reading an older book of discrouses given by President Monson, Pathways To Perfection. I don't know of any other speaker or writer that can weave a story with such perfect clarity and feeling than President Monson. I enjoy reading his words and listening to him at conference. 
A chapter in this book is titled: Meeting you Goliath.  There are so many different Goliath type challenges that are faced every day and they are unique to each individual. Mine at the moment is not letting myself fall into a pit of wallowing and sadness. So I do feel that many days I am facing a Goliath trying to stay as positive as I can and recognize all of my blessings. It is very hard for me to pull myself out of the cycle of constant questioning and replaying the scary moments over again and again in my mind.  So this is my Goliath. I love this chapter. It is filled with so many insights and beautiufl parables. I love it when I read something that seems to light a fire in me and encourages me to try harder.  We all have our Goliaths, so be thinking about yours as you read the following words of President Monson. 


"Well might we look carefully into our own lives and judge our courage, our faith. Is there a Goliath in your life? Does he stand squarely between you and your desired happiness? 
Oh, your Goliath may not carry a sword or hurl a verbal challenge of insult that all may hear and force you to decision. He may not be ten feet tall, but he likely will appear equally as formidable. 

"David went to the brook and carefully selected five smooth stones with which he might meet his enemy. He was deliberate in his selection, for there could be no turning back. Just as David went to the brook, well might we go to our source of supply--the Lord. What polished stones will you select to defeat the Goliath that is robbing you of your happiness and smothering your opportunities? May I offer suggestions.

"The stone of COURAGE will be essential to your victory. As we survey the challenges of life, that which is easy is rarely right. In fact, the course that we should properly follow appears at times impossible, impenetrable, hopeless. 

"Let us not overlook the stone of EFFORT--mental effort and physical effort. 
                   The heights by great men reached and kept
                   Were not attained by sudden flight,
                   But they, while their companions slept,
                   Were toiling upward in the night.              
                         -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"Thrust in thy sickle with they might" was not spoken of missionary work alone.

"Then there must be in our selection the stone of HUMILITY, for haven't we been told through divine revelation that when we are humble, the Lord, our God, will lead us by the hand and give us answer to our prayers? 

"And who would go forth to battle his Goliath without the stone of PRAYER, remembering that the recognition of a power higher than oneself is in no way debasing; rather, it exalts.

"Finally, let us choose the stone of LOVE OF DUTY. Duty is not merely to do the thing we ought to do, but do it when we should, whether we like it or not. 


"Armed with this selection of five polished stones to be propelled by the mighty sling of faith,
 we need then but to take the staff of virtue to steady us; and we are ready to meet the giant Goliath, wherever, and whenever, and however we find him. Above all else, may we ever remember that we do not go forth alone to battle again the Goliaths of our lives. As David declared to Israel, so might we echo the knowledge, '...the battle is the Lord's and he will give [Goliath] into our hands.'

"But the battle must be fought. Victory cannot come by default. So it is in the battles of life. Life will never spread itself in an unobstructed view before us. We must anticipate the approaching forks and turnings in the road. However, we cannot hope to reach our desired journey's end if we think aimlessly about whether to go east or west. We must make our decisions purposefully. Our most significant opportunities will be found in times of greatest difficulty."

3 comments:

Michael and April said...

Such wonderful words! I love the prophets!

The Allens said...

That sounds like a good book. The prophets always have such encouraging and inspirational words for us. I'll have to pick that one up and read it.

Dana said...

You truly are an amazing woman Tifani. I always fill so uplifted when I read your words - and the Spirit touches my heart and brings me to tears. Thank you.